Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
We share our updates on our diversity, including and belonging (DI&B) every year in our annual Corporate Citizenship Report and we recently published our progress thus far in our 2022 Corporate Citizenship Report. More information about our workforce demographics can be found in our EEO-1 workforce data.
Diversity is part of our DNA as a global company with employees of a wide range of races, ethnicities, nationalities and backgrounds. To us, diversity, inclusion and belonging means blending identities, experiences and perspectives within our teams; fostering a collaborative workplace that equally values open participation from individuals with different ideas and viewpoints; and empowering employees to bring their whole selves to work. Our strategic DI&B framework focuses on three key areas:
- People – Attract, hire, develop and retain a skilled, high-performing workforce that’s representative of the diverse talent in the global communities where we operate.
- Culture – Foster an inclusive culture through education, programs and practices that embrace our differences, sustain a sense of belonging and drive innovation to accelerate growth.
- Marketplace – Grow and maintain partnerships to amplify consumer engagement, strengthen customer and supplier relationships and drive positive change within our communities around the world.
- Earned a score of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index in 2021 and 2022.
- Named on several prestigious company recognition and employer of choice lists including Forbes America's Best Employers for Women 2023, Newsweek America's Most Responsible Companies 2022 and 2023 and Fortune’s Most Admired Companies 2022 and 2023.
- Partnered with SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) campus chapters to create a diverse recruiting pipeline
- Through the Newell Brands Charitable Foundation, DI&B is one of our giving pillars and the Foundation provides financial and in-kind product donations to several nonprofits working to end inequality and promote diversity and inclusion in our communities. These nonprofits include Teaching for Change, The National Black Arts Foundation and Asian Americans Advancing Justice, among others.
Employee Resource Groups
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are an important part of our DI&B efforts. ERGs are global, employee-led groups designed to amplify voices within Newell’s internal and external activities. ERGs provide our employees with unique opportunities for networking, engaging in important dialogue and participating in professional development programming.
We currently have nine ERGs:
Women and allies
employees and allies
Hispanic and Latinx
employees and allies
Veterans and allies
disabilities and allies
Employees who are passionate
about wellbeing and mental health issues
Employees that represent the
broad spectrum of races, ethnicities and nationalities in their location
ERGs host activities such as education and awareness events, guest speakers, skill building workshops, volunteer events and more, all of which bring together employees from across our locations.
ERGs also help us to meet our full potential as an organization by:
- Creating bridges across sites, business divisions and functions
- Developing targeted coaching and mentoring opportunities
- Identifying and developing new leaders
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Identifying learning and development focus areas
Our people are the driving force of our success, and we take seriously our responsibility to be a great place for people to work, grow and thrive. More information about working at Newell Brands can be found on our Careers page.
- Offer competitive benefits and resources that empower employees to prioritize their health and wellbeing and thrive inside and outside of work. More information can be found in our Benefits section.
- Provide health insurance and dental and vision coverage for our full-time, U.S.-based employees and equivalent benefits to our full-time team members globally and paid parental leave; a 401K plan with a 6 percent company match; access to fitness classes and product discounts; and support with tuition, fertility solutions and dependent care. Information regarding transparency in coverage can be found here.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program that is available to all employees globally to help them and their families manage life’s challenges such as anxiety and depression, family dynamics, substance abuse, child and elder care needs and legal or financial issues.
- Focus recruiting efforts on a broad cross-section of universities, including Historically Black Colleges and Universities and those with strong connections to organizations such as the Society of Women Engineers and the National Society of Black Engineers.
- Launched three new programs in 2021 to develop our employees’ leadership skills and prepare them for roles of increasing responsibility.
- Enhance employee opportunity for internal mobility with launch of new website where employees can create a profile and explore openings that match their skills and interests.
August 07, 2023Newell Brands Recognized as a Top Employer for Women
April 03, 2023Together As One: Our 2022 Corporate Citizenship Report